Skip Navigation
  • About Kinderhook
  • Residents
  • Businesses
  • Visitor
This table is used for column layout.

Is there a street light out?

If there is a street light out near your home, you can now report it directly to National Grid using the following link:
Street Light Outage Report Form

Mon - Thur 9AM - 3PM
Friday: CLOSED

Kinderhook New York Town Seal
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.           Where can I find out what my property assessed value is?

                A.  Visit the Columbia County Real Property Tax Service for convenient access to assessment information at    

Q.           Where do I go to get a Marriage License?  

                A.  Marriage LIcenses are issued by appointment at the Kinderhook Town Clerk's Office, 3211 Church St., Valatie, NY 12184.  For more information on getting married in NY State visit the New York State Department of Health website at ] 

Q.           Does a dog have to be licensed?              

               A.  Yes. NYS Agriculture and Market Law requires that at 4 months of age a dog needs to be licensed.  To license a dog you will need a rabies vaccination certificate and a certificate if the dog is spayed/neutered, all issued by your vet.

Q.           How much does a Dog License cost?

                A.  The fee is $10.00 if the dog is not spayed/neutered or $20.00 if the dog is spayed/neutered.  Senior age 65 and over receive a discount of $2.50 and $5.50 respectively.

Q.           Does the Town Supervisor perform marriage ceremonies?

                A.  Yes, as long as the ceremonies take place within the Town limits. Ceremonies are scheduled based on the Supervisor’s availability, and there is no fee.  Please call the Supervisor's office at 518-784-2233 X302 to schedule your wedding.  

 Q.         What information do I need to bring with me to get a Marriage License            

              A.  According to NYS Law, for a first marriage you and your future spouse would need a certified copy of a birth certificate along with a valid driver’s license, non-driver’s I.D. or passport.  If it is a second (or more) marriage, in addition to what is listed above, copies of divorce papers or death certificate depending on how each marriage had ended.  It is recommended that you schedule an appointment to obtain a Marriage License.  Please call the Kinderhook Town Clerk's Office on 518-784-2233 for more information.

Q.           When are Town Board Meetings held?

                A.  Kinderhook Town Board Meetings are held on the second Monday of every month, at 7:00 pm.  Some meeting dates and times may change to observe holidays.  

Q.           Who may attend a Town Board Meeting?

                A.  All Town Board Meetings are open to the public.  All citizens are  given the opportunity to address the Town Board with their concerns on any topic related to Town business during the Public portions of the Town Board Agenda.

Q.           How can I reserve the Pavilion at Volunteers Park?

                A.  A request form must be filled out and approved before the park can be reserved. The Facility Request Form can be downloaded from the Town website, picked up at Town Hall or sent to you in the mail.

Q.           How can I obtain a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate?

                A.  A certificate can be obtained through mail, in person or over the Internet. 

Q.           What do I need to obtain a birth, death or marriage certificate?

                A.  A valid state issued driver’s license or non-driver’s I.D.  

Q.           Can I get a copy of any record from the Town?

                A.  All records are available, unless an exception permits an agency to deny access. Most of the exceptions are based upon common sense and the potential for harm that would arise by means of disclosure. If disclosure of records would be damaging to an individual or preclude a government agency from carrying out its duties, it is likely that some aspects of the records may be withheld. (NYS Freedom of Information Public Officers Law Article 6 SECTIONS 84-90).

Q.           What types of recreation programs does the Town make available?

                A.  Please visit the city's Recreation Committee Page for information on available programs.

Q.           What do I do with yard waste and leaves?

                A.  The Town of Kinderhook will pick up leaves and yard waste for a specified period of time which is posted on the Town website.   This material must be recycled / paper bagged and placed curbside for collection. Leaves may NOT be raked to the curb.

Q.           Is there anything the City will not pick up at the curb?

                A.  The City does not collect garbage in black bags, cans that weigh in excess of 50 pounds, loose and / or uncontainerized garbage at any location.





TOWN HALL: 3211 Church Street, Valatie, NY 12184
Phone: (518) 784-2233 | Fax: (518) 784-2203
Website Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Virtual Towns & Schools Website